Volunteer Coordinator PositionDATE: September 26, 2021
The Louisville Association for Community Economics seeks a Volunteer Coordinator to support its work to open the Louisville Community Grocery.
This position will be a paid internship through the University of Louisville, hosted by the Louisville Association for Community Economics (LACE). This person will be responsible for coordinating volunteers for various events, activities, and tasks primarily related to building the Louisville Community Grocery (LCG).
We are looking for a detail-oriented and focused Coordinator to be responsible for matching prospective new LCG owner-volunteers, LACE members and community volunteers to volunteer opportunities that grow the grocery’s owner base. The ideal candidate will be able to make a six-month commitment to the position.
Our growing nonprofit carries out an expanding array of food and community-based activities powered by a diverse array of volunteers. The Volunteer Coordinator fills one-time event needs as well as ongoing routine assignments, finding the right niche for an individual’s specialized skills, connections, and interests. The Volunteer Coordinator’s responsibilities include recruiting and training new volunteers, keeping a database of volunteer information and skills, matching volunteers to opportunities that suit their skills, ensuring good communication among volunteers and LACE and LCG staff and officers, and conveying the organization’s purpose to the public.
The successful Volunteer Coordinator should be passionate about the idea of a community owned grocery and helping us get there through meaningful volunteer connections and reliable services. The Coordinator should uphold the values of our organizations while fostering the success of our volunteers in their positions.
The Volunteer Coordinator reports to the LACE and LCG boards’ designee.
- Help board members, committee chairs and event leaders make written requests for specified volunteers needs/roles
- Recruit, train, and match new volunteers to specific committee roles and volunteer tasks.
- Plan monthly or bi-monthly new volunteer 101 training
- Collect volunteer and leader information, availability, and skills, and maintain an up-to-date database
- Use tools such as outreach programs, e-mails, social media and volunteer databases.
- Evaluate and thank volunteers
- Match volunteers to opportunities that suit their skill sets, ensuring they understand their responsibilities and receive proper training.
- Regularly attend Outreach and Ownership and Market Innovations committee meetings or assign a designee
- Keep schedules and records of volunteers’ work
- Prepare and evaluate codes of conduct and operating procedures for events and activities to uphold the organization’s values
- Submit monthly newsletter story related to recruiting others into volunteer work, and celebrating accomplishments
- Capture images, stories, and video of volunteers on the job
- Ensures the grocery’s cooperative purpose is conveyed to the public through its volunteers.
- Other responsibilities as required by employer needs.
Timeline and Compensation:
This position is open until filled. The internship pays $17.50 per hour and requires a weekly commitment of at least 10 to 15 hours. Scheduling is quite flexible.
Please send a cover letter and resume with three references to email@example.com. Please use the subject line “Volunteer Coordinator Intern Application.” Resumes received first will be evaluated for interviews first, so do not delay in responding if interested.
About the Louisville Association for Community Economics
LACE is a non-profit that promotes community owned enterprises, initially focusing on a grocery which improves healthy food access/education, supports social interaction within a diverse community, and builds neighborhood wealth.
About the Louisville Community Grocery, L.C.A
Our mission is to build a cooperatively-owned grocery store that supports the local economy by providing healthy, affordable food through just and equitable food practices, employment, and ownership.
Equal Opportunity & Anti-Discrimination Policy
The Louisville Community Grocery and Louisville Association for Community Economics is committed to affirmatively promoting diversity and inclusion in all of our work and our internal policies and practices. LACE and LCG do not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, socioeconomic or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, partnering with other organizations, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, project development and decision-making, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients. LACE and LCG are an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to promote diversity and inclusion and ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, socioeconomic status, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.