We’re Hiring! Join our team to launch our Deli businessDATE: September 21, 2021
Louisville Community Grocery “Deli Up” Project Manager
Position Title:Louisville Community Grocery “Deli Up” Project Manager
Job Status: Contract Position
Reports to: Louisville Association for Community Economics (LACE) Executive Director
Louisville Association for Community
Economics (LACE) is a non-profit that
seeks to create a more equitable and
sustainable Louisville economy through the development of cooperative businesses. Cooperatives are accountable to the community, meet shared-community needs, and offer dignified jobs through shared ownership.
Our first major project is Louisville Community Grocery (LCG), a community- and worker-owned full-service co-op grocery store. The LCG co-op will support the local economy by providing healthy, affordable food through just and equitable practices, employment, and ownership. We believe everyone should have access to fresh and healthy food in a space that welcomes all.
LACE is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to promote diversity and inclusion and ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, socioeconomic status, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
The Deli Up Project Manager will lead the start-up and launch of the Louisville Community Grocery Deli business, offering a new line of healthy, affordable, prepared foods in neighborhoods experiencing food insecurity.
The menu will be crowdsourced and tested by seniors, youth, and families across our focus neighborhoods (Russell, Portland, Shawnee, Old Louisville, Smoketown & Shelby Park). The prepared food items will be SNAP-eligible and initially distributed through senior apartments, families at child care centers, and corner stores.
LACE and LCG will use public events and partner engagements to build community awareness of the grocery and the value community- and worker-owned businesses in general.
LACE and LCG are working in partnership with Common Table to develop the line. Common Table is a culinary arts job-training program that assists people who face barriers to employment in developing culinary skills and building their careers.
This is a 12-month contract position with the possibility of an extension
- ● Develop and manage relationships and project activities with the full spectrum of partners required to make this project a success
- ○ Community organizations, neighborhood groups, etc. that will contribute recipe ideas and evaluate menu items.
- ○ Local Black farmers and urban growers to source produce for the prepared foods line and future deli
- ○ Common Table, our culinary training partner and a potential source of worker-owners to invest and work at the grocery
- ○ Sales and distribution outlets
- ○ LCG owners and volunteers
- ○ Any consultants engaged throughout the project
- ● Schedule and coordinate tasting events and community-engagement activities to connect with seniors, youth, and families across our focus neighborhoods (Russell, Portland, Shawnee, Smoketown, Old Louisville, and Shelby Park) and partner communities such as La Casita, Common Earth Gardens, etc.
- ● Procure food ingredients for menu testings and deli products for sale
- ● Develop and pilot a distribution plan that tracks item sales and identifies high-performingoutlets
- ● Track project expenses, including food production, transportation, and tasting events
- ● Lead the project evaluation and grant reporting processes in coordination with otherLACE staff & volunteers
- ● Collaborate with LACE staff and volunteers to incorporate project experience andoutcomes into ongoing business planning
- ● Participate in Louisville Community Grocery’s board committees as assigned andparticipate in relevant training provided by LACE or the grocery
- ● Experience managing projects with multiple partners
- ● A love of collaboration and a strong track record building and activating communitynetworks
- ● Commitment to racial and economic justice; experience working in our targetcommunities a plus
- ● Ability to think strategically, organize effectively, and execute plans
- ● Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- ● Strong self-motivation and personal accountability
- ● Flexible, able to troubleshoot and adjust as necessary
- ● Eager to learn; able to learn quickly from a variety of resources
- ● Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required
- ● Food industry experience, particularly deli, catering, or food truck experience a plus
- ● Familiarity with farmers in Louisville and surrounding areas is a plusLACE is committed to affirmatively promoting diversity and inclusion in all of our work and our internal policies and practices. LACE does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, socioeconomic or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, partnering with other organizations, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, project development and decision-making, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
How to Apply
Email cover letter & resume to email@example.com
Download Job Description: Deli Up! Job Description 2.0